Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Mission of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service:
working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.
The Volunteer Coordinator for the Service's Southwest Region is Juli Niemann at 505-248-6635
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is a federal government agency within the U.S. Department of the Interior dedicated to the management of fish, wildlife, and natural habitats.
The Service is both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals, and commitment to public service.
Among the Service's responsibilities are enforcing federal wildlife laws, protecting endangered species, managing migratory birds, restoring nationally significant fisheries, conserving and restoring wildlife habitat such as wetlands, helping foreign governments with their international conservation efforts, and distributing money to states' fish and wildlife agencies through the Wildlife Sport Fish and Restoration program.
Units within the FWS include:
- National Wildlife Refuge System (over 560 National Wildlife Refuges and thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas covering over 150 million acres)
- Division of Migratory Bird Management
- Federal Duck Stamp
- National Fish Hatchery System
- Endangered Species program
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement
- Clark R. Bavin National Fish and Wildlife Forensic Laboratory
The vast majority of fish and wildlife habitat is on non-Federal lands. The Partners for Fish and Wildlife, Partners in Flight, Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council, and other partnership activities are the main ways the FWS fosters aquatic conservation and assists voluntary habitat conservation and restoration.
The Southwest Region covers Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma and is home to:
- 47 National Wildlife Refuges
- 8 National Fish Hatcheries
- 1 Fish Health Center
- 4 Fishery Resources Offices
- 7 Ecological Services Field Offices
- 19 Law Enforcement Offices
- 5 Border Inspection Stations
- Christine Tincher
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!