Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The PKD Foundation is the only organization, worldwide, devoted to improving clinical treatment and discovering a cure for Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD).
Polycystic Kidney Disease is the most common genetic, life threatening disease affecting more than 600,000 Americans and an estimated 12.5 million people worldwide - regardless of sex, age, race or ethnic origin. In fact, PKD affects more people than cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, hemophilia, Down syndrome and sickle cell anemia -- combined.
Polycystic means multiple cysts. In effect, PKD denotes multiple cysts on each kidney. These cysts grow and multiply over time, also causing the mass of the kidney to increase. Ultimately, the diseased kidney shuts down causing end-stage renal disease for which dialysis and transplantation are the only forms of treatment.
The local Northwest Ohio PKD Foundation chapter focuses on the following six key areas.
- Public Awareness Foster public awareness of PKD and distribute information about the disease and the PKD Foundation to patients, the public and the media.
- Fund-Raising Attract individuals, corporations and foundations interested in financially supporting PKD research.
- Action Alert Lobby for increased federal funding of PKD research at the National Institutes of Health.
- Education Educate patients and family members about PKD by hosting educational seminars.
- The Gift of One AnotherAssist patients and their family members by encouraging, providing support and listening.
- Becoming Part of the Whole Work together for a common goal by conforming to the PKD Foundation standards and following guidelines set forth by the Volunteer Action Committee.
- Glenna Frey
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!