Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
"To serve women and children in need in Lake County."
What is the Hawthorn Woods Women's Club?
Chartered in 1958 as way for area families to socialize, the Hawthorn Woods Women's Club has evolved to be a philanthropic organization with close ties to our community. In 2001, we achieved recognition as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. In 2003 our gift program for the shelter women and children, called Holiday Helpers, was recognized with a Governor's Hometown Award.Our Mission:
To serve women and children in need in Lake County.
Throughout Lake County there are women and their families suffering the effects of domestic violence and homelessness. We see this need and have made it our mission to provide funds, donations and volunteers to improve their situations.The Hawthorn Woods Women's Club has members from many communities in our area, including Lake Zurich, Kildeer, Long Grove and Barrington. Our membership currently numbers over 170. These women cherish our core values of community, charity and comradery. They seek us as an outlet for their desire to give back to the community as well as for the networking and support we offer our members. All organizational and administrative positions are held by unpaid volunteers. It is our goal to keep expenses to a minimum and far exceed the requirements of our 501(c)(3) status.
Where Your Support Goes:The Love Fund: The heart of the Hawthorn Woods Women's Club is called the Love Fund. The mission of the Love Fund is to support women and children in Lake County. The majority of our charity dollars and efforts benefit this Fund. Our support is currently divided between the following organizations:
- A Safe Place- Lake County's only comprehensive domestic violence shelter and counseling program. Their existing building provides emergency housing for women and children. No one is ever turned away. A Safe Place is building a 20-unit apartment building that will provide extended housing and on-site counseling to aid in their goal of keeping these families out of the homeless population.
- Staben House- Housing for women and children in transition for homelessness. Their program teaches skills needed to succeed long-term in securing employment, establishing a home and living independently.
- Lake County Haven- Transitional housing for women and children. The goal of their programs is to achieve long-term stability and self-sufficiency through education, employment and life-skills training.
In addition to providing funds to these shelters, the Hawthorn Woods Women's Club regularly collects items such as school supplies, Easter baskets and Mother's Day presents. Our Holiday Helpers program collects gifts for the women and children. At A Safe Place these items are arranged by HWWC volunteers into a free 'store' where the residents can choose gifts for their family and present them as usual. Club volunteers also staff the store for several days in December.
- Scholarship -The Hawthorn Woods Women's Club supports the community by providing two scholarships for high school seniors exhibiting excellent academics along with a good record of volunteerism.
- Children - Volunteer efforts include staging three children's parties at various holidays and organizing the Village's Independence Day celebration, supporting projects at the local elementary schools.
- Health & Safety - We have given money for sexual assault training and breast cancer support.
- Law Enforcement Service & Environmental Partnership - We have supported the Village and Police Department over the years with monetary gifts for park improvements and bullet-proof vests.
We look forward to continuing our work to help our community and always welcome new opportunities to serve.
- Angela Hayes
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!