Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Farmworker Justice is a nonprofit organization that seeks to empower migrant and seasonal farmworkers to improve their living and working conditions, immigration status, health, occupational safety, and access to justice. We work with farmworkers and their organizations throughout the nation.
Our vision is a nation where farmworkers are organized and their organizations are equipped with the tools to:
- End discrimination against agricultural workers in labor laws and demand effective enforcement so that farmworkers enjoy the same workplace rights that protect employees in other occupations and exercise them without retaliation.
- Promote higher wages, better working conditions, and comprehensive immigration reform that will improve farmworkers’ lives and stabilize the agricultural labor force.
- Access health and job safety information to address HIV/AIDS within farmworker communities, limit exposure to toxic pesticides, and reduce preventable workplace injuries.
We believe that the myriad problems that agricultural workers, their families and their communities encounter require a multifaceted approach. Our work is carried out primarily in five areas:
- On Capitol Hill: We work in Congress to educate lawmakers about the plight of our nation’s agricultural workers, defend against harsh proposals, and advocate for meaningful solutions.
- In Administrative Agencies: We help farmworkers voice their concerns in federal administrative agencies to advocate for sensible policies, effective implementation of programs and vigorous enforcement of labor-protection laws.
- In the Courts: We represent workers and their organizations in lawsuits challenging illegal actions by government and private employers.
- With Farmworkers and Farmworker Organizations: We provide legal advocacy, policy analysis, training and technical assistance to farm labor unions, other farmworker organizations, attorneys, migrant health centers, job training programs, and immigrant advocacy groups. We provide capacity building to community-based programs that serve farmworkers, particularly groups that work to prevent HIV/AIDS and occupational injuries.
- In the Public Eye: We conduct media campaigns, internet advocacy, and other effective communications strategies to educate the public and policymakers about farmworkers’ issues and promote meaningful solutions.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!