Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
We summarize our mission as "LAB: Learning Adventure Boating. We provide canoeing and kayaking programs for ecological and social good." Below is the full educational, ecological, and social mission as stated in our New York State nonprofit incorporation:
- To foster estuary and NYC watershed-themed ecological and natural science education, especially for underprivileged NYC youth and underrepresented community members.
- To foster estuary ecological restoration and NYC watershed conservation as a justly shared legacy.
- To document, especially through photographs and videos, the state of New York Harbor and the Hudson-Raritan estuary and the NYC watershed.
- To promote safe, inclusive, and sustainable estuary and NYC watershed access by maintaining public boat fleets and access sites, and transporting boats to sites for special events;
- To foster partnerships that extend the missions of other social service groups onto the water;
- To procure and maintain scientific equipment for the above purposes;
- To disseminate information and conduct informational efforts; act as a catalyst and facilitator regarding the above purposes.
HarborLAB has two boat fleets (ten tandem kayaks, five canoes each), one on New York Harbor and the other coming to the Neversink Reservoir in the Catskill Mountains.
We provide educational paddling programs throughout NYC and the region, including to the two largest annual water ecology events, Pete Seeger's Clearwater Festival and City of Water Day. We also undertake environmental science projects with college students on the Newtown Creek and elsewhere.
We use kayaks and canoes to create fun experiential and service learning programs. You'll have a blast participating in our adventures, which are also very meaningful. We are not a recreational club.
Our 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor is Earth Day New York. We are registered as a nonprofit in New York State and we will soon apply for federal 501(c)(3) status.
Please note that the map accompanying our profile locates our boat launch base's zip code but not our exact coordinates. Also note that we are active throughout the city and region, not only at our launch.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!