Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To enhance and preserve the Highway Park Community through beautification projects, building and community rehabilitation, healthy living initiatives, educational programs, children’s activities, senior citizen programs, arts & culture, economic development, and community advocacy.
Our Highway Park Community is an unincorporated, minority community located 1 mile south of the Town of Lake Placid, FL. Although we are called Lake Placid for U.S. Postal Services purposes, we do not receive any financial or administrative assistance from Lake Placid. We are administered by Highlands County whose government offices are 22 miles away.
Our non-profit charitable organization achieves its goals through the following:
- Writes grants such as beautification grants, cultural grants, rural business development grants, community gardening grants, senior citizens support grants, and community rehabilitation grants.
- We advocate changes in policies, develop ordinances, and represent the Highway Park Community with local government officials.
- Conducts litter removal programs
- Rehabilitates vacant lots by cutting overgrown grass, weeds, tire removal, trash removal, etc.
- Paint homes of some of the elderly and infirmed in the community
- Conduct fundraisers on behalf of the community to fund our continued rehabilitation of buildings, vacant lots, etc.
- Provide workshops to educate our community (e.g. Entreprenuership, taxes, financial management, resume writing, etc.)
- Conduct childrens activities
- Provide support to the elderly and infirm
- Communicate issues to the county administration on behalf of the community
- Coordinate activities within the community
- Conduct cultural initiatives (document stories, obtain historic materials, conduct research, support local artists by providing a venue to display their talent
- Support economic redevelopment of the Highway Park community