Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Home-Start West Lothian is a small but very busy local charity supporting families acrossWest Lothianby reducing their isolation and increasing their social support networks as well as helping to improve children’s health and well-being.
We are able to do this by offering a unique service to families by way of a Parent Volunteer Befriender to offer support and friendship through home visiting as well as family and specialist groups and through social events.
We support families who are:-
- Isolated in the community, with no family nearby and struggling to make friends
- Suffering with post-natal illness but finding it hard to talk to anyone about it
- Struggling with the emotional and physical demands of having twins, triplets or more
- Having a hard time coping with a child’s illness
- Overwhelmed by the death of a loved one
- Struggling to cope with a disability or relationship problems
Our Parent Volunteer Befrienders go through a mandatory 10-week training course covering aspects such as Values and Attitudes, Visiting Families, Relationship Problems, Listening Skills, Child Protection etc. Our Parent Volunteers go through the disclosure process and references are also required before a Volunteer can be matched with a family.