Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
SUN's Mission is to improve the lives of children, their families and the community through partnering with local school communities to extend the school day and develop schools as "community centers" in their neighborhoods.
SUN Community Schools
- Extend the school day and broaden the educational resources for the community.
- Bring and coordinate services to the community.
- Bring the community together to break down isolation and strengthen families.
- Build relationships across generations, cultures and incomes.
SUN Initiative Goals
- Improve student achievement, attendance, behavior and other skills for healthy development and academic success through increased capacity of the local schools to provide a safe, supervised and positive environment for expanded experiences.
- Increase family involvement in the schools and school-based programs.
- Increase community and business involvement in the schools and school-based programs.
- Improve the system of collaboration among school districts, government, community-based agencies, families, citizens and business/corporate leaders.
- Improve use of public facilities and services by locating services in the community-based neighborhood schools.
How do SUN COMMUNITY SCHOOLS Work?
- SUN Community Schools select a non- profit lead agency to act as managing partner for the SUN effort. Jointly they hire SUN Site Managers to help build and bring networks of services, classes and volunteers together to benefit youth and the community. SUN Managers coordinate these services and make sure they link to the academic school day.
- SUN Community Schools tailor their events, classes, services and activities to what the local community wants, through the use of an Advisory Committee.
- SUN Community Schools build upon positive assets already in communities and link those with the activities offered in the school.
- SUN Community Schools bring together schools, community leaders and agency professionals to plan the best ways to support youth - in education, family involvement, the community, providing services and utilizing community buildings.
- SUN Community Schools use an evaluation team to measure impact, celebrate success and continuously improve SUN School programs and their impact in the community.
- Lena Teplitsky
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!