Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Colorado Association of Black Professional Engineers and Scientists (CABPES) mission is to encourage and assist African-American and other under-represented minority youth in the pursuit and attainment of career choices in engineering and applied science professions.
CABPES offers the following programs:
1. Junior Engineers, Tomorrow's Scientists (JETS) is designed to increase students’ interest in STEM education and careers. In each course industry professionals volunteer their time to teach and expose the students to engineering and technology concepts. Field trips are often added to the curriculum to provide the students the opportunity to experience engineering and technology principles in real time using practical applications. All of the JETS classes offer the students "hands-on" learning experiences. The JETS classes to be offered during the 2014-2015 year include:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Management
- Energy Engineering (Spring 2015)
- Fun with Microcontrollers
- LEGO Robotics
2. Math Enrichment Program (MEP).
MEP classes are held on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00.
Students must be committed to attend both days unless there is an excused absence. Individual tutoring and skills development will be provided to support students having difficulty with math content. Students enrolled will receive assistance with their homework and attention will be given to topics with which they are having challenges. Students are required to bring their homework assignments to every tutoring session. Supplementary materials will be used as needed to support skill development. A diagnostic assessment of each student will be conducted at the beginning of the program to determine the student’s level of proficiency.
3. The SAT/ACT Preparation Program.
SAT classes are held on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00.
The SAT/ACT College Preparation Program offers sessions in the fall and spring. The program goal is to assist students in their preparation for the SAT. We will familiarize the student with:
- what is measured by the SAT
- the structure of the test
- test-taking tips to enhance performance
- the major concepts of the test
- strategies for each test section
It will also provide students with an opportunity to develop an essay, college application and scholarship application