Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Urban Promise Academy (UPA) is a small, public, middle school serving the San Antonio and Fruitvale neighborhoods in Oakland, California. We were started by teachers, parents, and community organizations five years ago. Our mission is to develop effective learners and community members who have excellent academic skills and valuable habits of character. We support our students in building the skills and attitudes that will equip them for a rigorous college preparatory curriculum in the high school of their choice. As an Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound (ELOB) school, learning expeditions provide the framework for of our curriculum.
This year, UPA will serve 300 students in grades six through eight. 93% of UPA's students are eligible for free or reduced lunch. 60% of our students are English language learners. 10% of our students are African American, 80% of our students are Latino and 9% are Asian American
UPA is a fantastic place for teachers and students alike.
UPA provides teachers with:
- Weekly professional development through arts integration and expeditionary learning.
- Training in expeditionary learning
- Weekly collaboration time
- Ample Leadership opportunities within the school
- Coaching on using data to improve instructional practice
UPA students receive:
- Free admission to the Urban Arts after school program (including Robotics classes, Visual and Performing Arts classes, and others)
- Rigorous, standards-based curriculum
- Classes in a Block schedule
- A college preparatory atmosphere
- Integrated art projects
- Extra math and English classes
- Small class sizes (less than 25 students on average)
- High-interest curriculum through expeditionary learning
- Caring teachers
- A safe place to learn
- Language and academic support
UPA is noteworthy! UPA was noted as one of Oakland's most improved in the California Standards Tests. Additionally, UPA has had the highest attendance of all Oakland middle schools for the last three years.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!