Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Granny's Garden School is a non-profit organization established in 2002 to develop and manage garden and nature based programs on elementary school grounds. Our outdoor classrooms are used to enhance classroom study while allowing children to experience nature, the satisfaction of growing their own food and contributing harvest to the local food pantry.
Our program in Loveland, OH, serving ~1,500 1st-4th grade students is one of the most comprehensive school garden programs in the country. In 2014, we expanded to include Stewart Elementary the largest elementary school in Princeton City Schools a neighboring Title 1 district.
Granny’s Garden School provides schools with a complete package of services that include:
- Design and year-round maintenance of educational food gardens and nature trails on the school’s grounds.
- A customized, age appropriate curriculum aligned with both school and state requirements
- A schedule of outdoor learning classes provided for classroom teacher signup
- Trained professional Garden Educators prepared to teach lessons
- A non-profit board overseeing results and building a sustainable operation with strong school and teacher partnership
- Hands-on learning enhancing student understanding of science, math and the natural world as they interact with their environment.
- Donation to local food pantry and use of all food grown
- Student discovery they like carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, beets and even onions as they snack on them fresh from the gardens
- Student connection and observation of change in nature
Lesson plans on our website are accessed by garden educators across the country. Many have come to Loveland to learn about the program.