Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To enrich the quality of life of those in need within our community by providing practical and emotional support.
Our history: Communicare was founded byShirleyBaptistChurch in 1991, expanding in 2001 to include all the churches from Churches Together in Shirley and District. Communicare became a registered charity in 2005.
Our aims: We seek to demonstrate Christian love for all by providing practical help and friendship for needy people living in our area. This includes assisting elderly and disadvantaged people to live as independently as possible in what are usually lonely and difficult circumstances, and supporting younger people who suffer from mental or physical infirmities or live in challenging family circumstances.
Who do we help? In 2011 - 12 we helped 436 individuals or families. These are people of all ages, (but mostly aged between 66 and 90) who either:
- Miss out on statutory help; or
- For whom statutory help is not enough to give them a reasonable quality of life.
Our Volunteers: We currently have over 200 volunteers, mostly recruited from local churches. They all go through an induction process with us and are regularly invited to trainings & social gatherings.
What do we do?
- Befriend / Visit
- Provide transport
- Decorate / other DIY
- Support parents of babies and young children
Clients can seek help personally, or are referred through a number of different routes, including social workers, caring organisations, and health professionals. A high percentage of clients ask for our help due to physical difficulty and the tasks requested most are transport and visiting clients at home.
You can help by:
- Becoming a Volunteer and helping to enrich someone’s life
- Making a donation which can be Gift Aided either through the bank or via our Website (VirginMoneyGiving)
- Getting involved with our Tree of Light event.
- Communicare In Southampton
- 023 8039 9962
- Need admin access?