Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Art Enables is a 501(c)3 nonprofit studio and gallery for adult artists with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Serving artists from the Washington metropolitan area, our mission is to create the opportunity, environment, materials, and marketing support they need to succeed as professional artists. Our goal is to further an understanding of the alternative way in which many people who are marginalized can communicate when they are given the chance. Our artists have a range of disabilities, such as Down syndrome, traumatic brain injury, intellectual disability, autism spectrum disorder, and persistent mental illness. But they all have one thing in common: they are artists. In addition to all of the studio resources needed to create art, we provide a full calendar of exhibitions both in our gallery and other venues, as well as online sales and marketing of artwork. Artists earn more than money from art sales: they earn pride and validation as professional artists.
Volunteers are an integral part of the Art Enables.
Some typical daily tasks of a volunteer...
Second Saturday Art Openings
- Help set up gallery
- Assist with purchases
- Provide an extra hand with free art workshops
Facilitate studio sessions
- Assist artists in signing in, getting started, cleaning up
- Help with supplies, visuals, technical questions
- Supervise lunch and coffee break
Exhibits and presentation
- Shrink-wrap and frame artwork, repaint walls, hang artwork,
- Print/cut/fold greeting cards and brochures
- Pick up supplies, deliver artwork to outside venues
- Prepare mailings
And much more!