We serve the Latino population primarily through four programmatic areas.
1. Family Literacy - Four levels of ESL classes ranging from Basic Literacy to Intermediate English. Classes are held twice weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. until noon and we provide an early childhood education program during these classes for children up to 5 years of age. Also, during the summer we offer a bi-lingual day camp for elementary school-aged children.
2. GED preparation classes - The GED exam can be taken in Spanish and the Center serves a critical role as it is the only location in Richmond where students can take preparation classes in Spanish. Classes are taught Monday through Thursday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. in each of the four core areas of the GED exam: Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Sciences
3. Latino Leadership Institute - A two-semester dual-language program prepares Latino adults to assume leadership roles in the greater Richmond area. Special emphasis is placed on exploring the principles and practices of Latino culture that can infuse new life into leadership development. Classes meet weekly for 12 weeks each semester from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
4. College and Career Bound - This program serves to guide and motivate the next generation of Latinos by matching them with professional mentors who assist these high school students transition into higher education or a career. Students expand their network by connecting with Latino students outside their schools and connect with professionals from a wide range of career backgrounds. Classes are held monthly for 8 months and include sessions on financial literacy, applying to college, college funding, networking, team building, and leadership.
Additionally, the Sacred Heart Center serves as a Latino Community Hub as we host a number of programs offered by other agencies, including:
- Commonwealth Catholic Charities (Therapeutic and Immigration counseling, Citizenship Classes)
- Bon Secours Care-A-Van (Health services)
- Mobile consulates from Mexico and several Central American countries
- Bainbridge Food Bank (Food pantry)
- The Bridge Community Development Center (ESL classes)