• ORGANIZATION PROFILE
  • Gulf Coast Recovery-Habitat for Humanity International Gulf Coast Recovery-Habitat for Humanity International

Causes

  • Interest area icon
  • Interest area icon
  • Interest area icon
  • Interest area icon

Volunteer with us!

VIEW AS
Subscribe Get an RSS feed of these Opportunities
Please wait . . .

Mission Statement

Habitat for Humanity Mission

Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with God and people everywhere, from all walks of life, to develop communities with people in need by building and renovating houses so that there are decent houses in decent communities in which every person can experience God's love and can live and grow into all that God intends.

Description

What is Habitat"s Gulf Recovery Effort?

The Gulf Recovery Effort is Habitat for Humanity International's response to the destruction caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005 when the two storms struck the southeast US coast of the Gulf of Mexico. While Habitat for Humanity cannot be the answer to all low-income housing needs created by the hurricanes, Habitat expects to assist thousands of people and to work together in partnership with other organizations to serve as a catalyst in the rebuilding process.

How is Habitat getting the job done?

This unprecedented disaster is too large in scope for any one agency to address alone. In recognition of that fact, Habitat for Humanity continues to build on existing alliances and proactively works to include the support of other organizations. Appropriate collaboration maximizes limited resources, prevents duplication of efforts and, ultimately, provides more homes than would otherwise be possible. Habitat is working with many entities for the common good of the hurricane victims and new partnerships and collaborations continue to emerge.

Who are the families Habitat is working with?

As often is the case in natural disasters, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita took their largest toll on neighborhoods and communities least able financially to recover from devastating damage. That makes Habitat for Humanity, which typically builds with families making between 25 and 50 percent of the median income in an area, a natural fit with the need. Because Habitat homes are built largely with volunteers and with "sweat equity" from future homeowners, and because no profit is made on the homes, they are affordable to low-income families.

Does Habitat's Gulf Recovery Effort need more volunteers?

Yes! In the aftermath of the storms, more than 32,000 volunteers from around the country registered online with Habitat to offer their labor and construction skills in the rebuilding effort. However, as Habitat continues building in the affected areas, the need for volunteers is ongoing. Habitat anticipates that 25 percent of the volunteers will be drawn locally, while the remaining 75 percent will come from outside the region. With at least 1,000 volunteers needed weekly, Pick Up a Hammer and Join Us on the Coast! sign up today

Website

http://www.habitat.org/gulfrecoveryeffort/default.aspx

Contact

Reviews

BE THE FIRST TO RECOMMEND THIS ORGANIZATION!
Would you recommend Gulf Coast Recovery-Habitat for Humanity International?

Engage your employees, consumers, or students! VolunteerMatch provides the tools that make community involvement easy.