Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Nevada County makes a positive difference in the lives of children and youth through a professionally-supported, one-to-one relationship with a caring and responsible individual.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Nevada County has been providing mentoring services for children and youth ages 6-18 since 1981. In January 2008, we expanded our services to children in the Truckee and North Tahoe region. The children and youth we serve are primarily from low-income, single-parent families.
We currently have two mentoring programs: mentoring at supervised sites such as local schools or the North Tahoe Boys and Girls Club, and mentoring in community. The services offered by our agency as part of these two programs are:
1. Big Brothers and Big Sisters: Thoroughly screened adult mentors that are matched with children in the site-based or community-based mentoring programs.
2. Grandfriends Program: Mentoring program that matches older adults with children and youth in the community or site-based programs.
3. High School Bigs/PAL /Friday Night Live Mentoring Program: Mentoring programs that take place at local school sites and that match high school juniors and seniors with elementary and middle school students. The PAL program has an academic component and the Friday Night Live Mentoring Program integrates drug and alcohol prevention curricula along with youth development activities.
4. Big & Little Activity Days: Fun-filled, and often educational activities at least once per month for our current matches, waiting Littles (i.e., children on the waiting list), and our Bigs in process (i.e., individuals waiting to be matched with a child).
5. Volunteer Trainings: 1.5 hour mandatory training session for our volunteer mentors, offered individually, preparing them for their mentoring role and agency expectations.
6. Special Topic Trainings: Training and support groups on special topics of interest to our volunteers offered on a monthly basis.
7. Magic Moments Information Sessions: Informational seminars offered several times a year for individuals interested in learning more about our agency and the various opportunities for volunteering and getting involved.