primary mission is to protect, support, advocate and empower Orphans, Women and other vulnerable groups within our communities. To provide basic necessities like: Food, clothing, and education to poor disadvantaged and neglected orphans whose parents have died of HIV/AIDS and to help their families to overcome poverty and hopelessness in Uganda through helping them initiate sustainable income generating projects.
Our Programme Activities include:
1. Feeding programme- Breakfast centers for vulnerable children
2. HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention school programme.
3. HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention in informal work place.
4. Training caregivers and orphans in psychosocial support.
5. Education and vocational training to vulnerable children.
6. micro- Enterprise Development -to empower vulnerable groups.
HOW IS THIS DONE:
1. Feeding Programme:
Registered vulnerable Children gather at different identified
centers within their communities early in the morning and are served with a nutritious meal before going to school.
2. The HIV/AIDS school program is conducted in partnership with the identified school which provides space, time, students, teachers, and above all to incorporate in it their programme.This is done through students clubs ie [A] HEALTH CLUB ; where all health issues addressed and debated upon by students with the assistance of LICHI staff, including Life skill training. [B]DRAMA CLUB; for plays and songs, infotainment has proved to be the best method of passing messages to organized groups especially to the young people. [ C] SCRIPTURE UNION; this is responsible for preaching the gospel to students, leading prayers,and fellowships so to help in behavioral change[.D] SPORTS CLUB; for recreational activities to help in developing talents, helping the physical fitness, also in counseling and avoiding redundancy as the writer said that 'an idle mind is a devils workshop'. COUNSELLING: It is established at the school to help those who are stressed by either what is at home or at school and or abused in any way; it also helps in decision making.
3. HIV/AIDS prevention and awareness in the informal work place; is done through sensitization in market places, slum setup timber yards, and other informal work places targeting disadvantaged groups; through film casting, drama groups, health talks and IEC materials. In this category the ABC method is emphasized and people encouraged to go for VCT.
4. TRAINING OF ORPHANS AND CAREGIVERS IN PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT:
LICHI trains the caregivers and community leaders on the following topics;
Good parenting methods, the rolls of care givers to these orphans,the rights of children and how best the community can participate in supporting vulnerable children. Guiding the community to identify the problems affecting them and how they can be part of the solution. To orphans we train peer educators on the rights, on the responsibilities and how they can advocate to participate in shaping their future. Also peer counseling is trained and encouraged
5. EDUCATION AND VOCATION TRAINING;
LICHI welcomes sponsors to help vulnerable children for their education. Here one can decide to help a child of her or his choice or donate the money to the organization to help whoever is in need. For vocational training ; LICHI has a programme for youth who are out of school and child headed house holds.
6. MICRO ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT:
Because of the pressing needs of the vulnerable groups and caregivers of these orphans, LICHI registered LICHI-HOPE SAVINGS AND CREDIT COOPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD.where these members can save their small earnings and borrow from it so as to run small income generating projects ,in future to be able to help these orphans. Here the constraint is a revolving fund.