Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Join us for the inaugural Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Gran Fondo, a fun, non-competitive cycling event to benefit skin cancer research at MSU. Gran Fondo" means "Big Ride" in Italian. Gran Fondos are long distance, mass-participation cycling events - not races - that are becoming immensely popular. Participation is open to recreational and competitive amateur cyclists. All abilities are welcome
DATE: SATURDAY, JUNE 29, 2013
Course: Starting and finishing at the B.O.B. in downtown Grand Rapids, the MSU Gran Fondo will follow a scenic, West Michigan course, offering 12, 40, and 80-mile loops for riders of all skill levels. The shortest loop turns at Millennium Park, while the longest ride leads to Lake Michigan, turning at North Shore Park near Grand Haven. Along the way, Gilmore Catering will host Superfood Stops with local and sustainable products.
Gears for Beers Microbrew & Music Festival: Hosted by The B.O.B. Registered Riders will enjoy free admission to a post-ride Gran Buffet featuring fresh Michigan products and wine & beer sampling (21+ only).
MSU College of Human Medicine - Staff Contact
Kate Follett: 616.234.2714
Corporate Teams: The Gran Fondo is a powerful team building event that encourages healthy living. This event provides your company the opportunity to engage employees, their families, and the local community to join in the fight against skin cancer.
Teams comprised of friends and families, neighbors, cycling clubs, co-workers, community groups, and university alumni develop a unique sense of camaraderie while they engage in a healthy activity and support a worthwhile cause. Corporate Teams qualify for exclusive benefits before and at the event. Contact Kate Follett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616.234.2714 for additional information.
Volunteer Registration: Day-of-event volunteers assist with a variety of fun and exciting things. Please help us to make the MSU College of Human Medicine Gran Fondo a special day for our riders and their families by lending a few hours of your time on Saturday, June 29. Register as an event volunteer.
Skin Cancer Research: Funds raised from the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Gran Fondo will support skin cancer research at MSU. These dollars will fund pilot studies - investigative, next-step research that tests findings and enables a scientific study to continue. "Funding for pilot studies will allow us to explore new approaches to overcome drug resistance that is all too common in patients receiving treatment for advanced stages of melanoma," said Brian Nickoloff, M.D., Ph.D, MSU's lead principal investigator for melanoma research. "While funding from the SU2C Stand Up To Cancer Dream Team for Melanoma Research program is supporting our study, we can use pilot project funding to discover the best ways of combating melanoma when the initial drug stops working and tumors reappear. Ultimately we are looking for ways to give patients and their families in our community better chances of long-term survival and a better quality of life."
A ROLLING PARTY TO BENEFIT MSU SKIN CANCER RESEARCH ABOUT THE RIDE
- Scenic route to Lake Michigan and back
- Start, finish, and After Sparty at the B.O.B. in downtown Grand Rapids
- Gourmet food stations presented by the Gilmore Collection Gilmore Catering's Superfood Stops featuring local and sustainable products
- Non-competitive ride with 12, 40, or 80 mile loops for riders of all skill levels
- Electronic timing and ride results posted on website
- Support wagon & mechanical support
- Swag bag including limited edition event t-shirt
- Free entry to Gears for Beers Microbrew & Music Festival hosted by the B.O.B
- Post-ride Gran Buffet featuring fresh Michigan products and wine & beer sampling (21+ only)
- Secure bike parking during post-event party
- Riders who raise a minimum of $500 for MSU skin cancer research receive a commemorative event jersey and free registration, click here to get started. (make click here a link to registration)
EVENT DATE: JUNE 29TH, 2013
(Schedule subject to change; additional details for the day's events will be available in early 2013)
- 8:00 a.m. - Start for the 40-mile and 80-mile rides
- 9:30 a.m. - Start for the 12-mile family ride
- Afternoon - After Sparty at the B.O.B. - Gears for Beers with Michigan microbrews and wine sampling, amazing street food stations and great live music
- Afternoon - Herman Miller Brickyard Classic (nearby location)
- Post event - Electronic timing and ride results posted at www.msugranfondo.com
20 Monroe Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Clayton Cheever
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!