Seymour Marine Discovery Center
- Education & Literacy
LocationLong Marine Lab100 McAllister WaySanta Cruz, CA 95060 United States
The Seymour Center at Long Marine Lab is dedicated to educating people about the role scientific research plays in the understanding and conservation of the world's oceans.
The Seymour Center is a small aquarium, with exhibits and the largest blue whale skeleton on display in the world. There is a seawater touch table, a shark touch pool, and a wonderful Ocean Discovery Shop.
Volunteer opportunities are plentiful at the Seymour Marine Discovery Center. Volunteers are constantly learning about the latest in ocean science, marine biology, and ocean conservation.
Become a Seymour Marine Discovery Volunteer and
* contribute to the community
* explore the ocean and sea life
* learn about exciting marine science research firsthand from the experts
* attend special field trips, seminars, lectures, and outings
* make new friends
* share your knowledge with children and visitors from around the world
* enjoy social events and potlucks
* receive discounts in the Ocean Discovery Shop
* earn courtesy guest passes
It could change your life!"Loved our visit here. Touch pools were so fun and the staff are so knowledgeable. One docent was our favorite, thank you Jack for being so much fun. The center is lucky to have such great volunteers." J.W., Folsom, CA
Over 200 volunteers continually support the Center in a variety of ways, from teaching underserved kids to painting whale bones to leading tours as a docent. Volunteers support day-to-day operations and many education programs that benefit the community. In return,our volunteers get a lifelong learning opportunity.