Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
FosterEd improves the educational outcomes of children and youth in foster care by ensuring each is supported by an educational champion and strengthened by an education team.
Educational Support Volunteers Needed!
FosterEd: Santa Cruz County is a project aimed at improving the educational outcomes of foster children. The project’s goal is to ensure every Santa Cruz County foster child has at least one educational champion supporting his or her educational success. We are seeking volunteers interested in ensuring these champions have the knowledge and skills they need.
What is an Educational Support Volunteer?
This project aims ensure that all Santa Cruz County foster children have an educational champion supporting their educational success. These educational champions will be biological parents, foster parents, relatives or other adults involved in the child’s life.
Unfortunately, these champions sometimes lack the knowledge and skills to effectively support the child’s education. As an Educational Support, you will provide individualized educational coaching to one or more educational champions. Areas of coaching include:
- How to navigate the school system and communicate with teachers and school staff
- How to ensure consistent school attendance
- How to ensure the child is enrolled in appropriate schools and classes
- Understanding the special education process
- How to support older youth in planning for college and/or a career
- How to obtain academic support
- How to access extra education opportunities (extracurriculars, summer enrichment, etc.)
- Behavioral and school discipline issues
FosterEd will provide an initial orientation, substantive training, and ongoing support, ensuring you have the resources you need to serve as an effective educational mentor. You will be matched with one or more educational champions based on their areas of need and your capacities.
To serve as an Educational Suport Volunteer you must:
- Be age 21 or older
- Have a high school diploma, or equivalent
- Participate in an orientation and training provided by FosterEd
- Undergo finger-print and background check process (no cost)
- Have no conflict of interest concerning the child’s education
Educational Supports are asked to serve for a minimum of six months.
FosterEd: Santa Cruz County is a joint initiative of the National Center for Youth Law, Santa Cruz County Family and Children Services; Santa Cruz County Office of Education; Santa Cruz County Juvenile Courts; and Santa Cruz County CASA.
*If you are interested in volunteering or learning more, please contact Kim Corneille at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 763-8997
- Kim Corneille
- (831) 763-8997
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!