Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Safe Passage Mission Statement
Safe Passage is a non-profit organization that provides help for victims of
domestic and sexual violence. We support the principle that all individuals have a right to a life free
of abuse, We seek to break the cycle of violence through increasing public awareness of
the problem of domestic and sexual violence, acting as advocates for victims, coordinating existing
resources and providing a safe environment for victims.
Agency History: Safe Passage Domestic Violence and Crisis Intervention Services, Inc. was formed
through efforts of the Moberly Regional Medical Foundation and a group of citizens concerned with
domestic abuse issues. Initial services began with the formation of the crisis intervention hotline
manned by trained volunteers in November of 1995. Residential services began in April of 1996 when
the current location was established with the help of the Neighborhood Assistance Program through the
Missouri Department of Economic Development. The donation of our current building from Orscheln
Companies as well as other donations from several contributors helped Safe Passage become one of the
largest shelters in our area. Safe Passage was under the guidance of the Moberly Regional Health
Foundation through September of 1996, at which time, the shelter formed its own Board of Directors. In
1997, Safe Passage received a 501 (c) 3 designation from the IRS and completed paperwork allowing
complete financial separation from the Health Foundation.
• To provide emergency shelter and other services for victims of domestic and sexual violence.
• To provide personal, legal, and medical advocacy to victims of domestic and sexual violence.
• To provide our service area with a 24 hour crisis hotline maintained with trained specialists.
• To act as a resource for all crisis callers by providing them with peer counseling and referrals to
area service agencies when needed.
• To provide community outreach activities and education explaining the cycle of domestic
violence as well as promotion of our services.
• To provide non-residential advocacy, crisis intervention, information and referrals, and
counseling to victims that do not reside within the shelter as funding permits.
• To establish protocol with law enforcement agencies and medical facilities within our service
area ensuring all victims of domestic and sexual violence are aware of our services and receive
those services that they require.
• To maintain an active volunteer base that will enhance and expand services and fundraising
• To provide all services with integrity, professionalism, and consistency thereby making Safe
Passage a respected service provider in this area.
• To ensure success of the organization through prudent financial management and proper use of
• To provide unique learning experiences for students entering counseling or related social service
• To provide a weekly support groups for area victims of domestic and sexual assault.
Current Programs and activities:
Safe Passage operates 24 hours a day, each day of the year. Services provided include, crisis
intervention, case management, residential shelter, children's services, licensed professional counseling,
life skills training, legal, medical, and personal advocacy, and referrals to any applicable community
agency that will assist the victims in breaking the cycle of violence and establishing a self-sufficient
lifestyle. Safe Passage advocacy is based on the empowerment model of advocacy which allows
individuals to make well informed and healthy lifestyle choices for their family and their future
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!