Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Friends of the Children NY changes the destiny of New York City’s most vulnerable children...one child at a time.
We are an early intervention program that works with children in Harlem from kindergarten and stays with them through high school graduation. We break the cycle of poverty through education and exposure to activities that encourage and promote social and emotional development. Friends of the Children NY takes a holistic approach to youth development, helping our Achievers get on a track toward a better life. By providing a role model, educational support, social service resources and positive encouragement, we give Achievers in our program the opportunity to change their own future for the better.Friends of the Children NY is unique
- Highly Qualified Full-Time Professionals - We employ carefully screened, full-time, paid professional youth advocates.
- Individual Attention - Each Friend is matched with only with 8 Children.
- Rigorous Selection - We select those children most at-risk through an intensive 6-week assessment process.
- Start Early Enough To Make A Difference - We intervene when children are in kindergarten or first grade.
- Stay the Distance - We commit to a long-term, unconditional relationship through high school graduation with each child.
- Concentrated, Individual Time - Our Friends spend a minimum of 4 hours, twice a week in a one-on-one nurturing, role modeling relationship with each Achiever.
- Use of Best Practices - Our Friends are provided with continuous support and training.
- Consistency - Our program maintains high retention rates among both staff and children.
- Community Collaboration - We establish and maintain strong working relationships with families, schools and other community organizations. Currently we are in active collaboration with over 70 other community-based organizations.
Established in 2001, we have expanded the program from employing three Friends serving 24 children to employing twelve Friends serving over 110 children. Having virtually quadrupled since we began in 2001, our goal is to have a Friends Place serving New York City’s most at-risk children in all five of our city’s boroughs.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!