- Education & Literacy
- Emergency & Safety
- Health & Medicine
LocationSister Visitor Center2235 W Market StLOUISVILLE, KY 40212 United States
Catholic Charities of Louisville, Inc., a member of Catholic Charities USA and part of the Catholic Church in Central Kentucky, provides service for people in need, advocates for justice in social structures, and calls the entire Church and other people of good will to do the same.
The Sister Visitor Center is an emergency assistance program, located at 2235 W. Market, that provides assistance with the most basic of human needs: food, clothes, assistance with rent, utilities, medicines, furniture etc.
The Sister Visitor Center began in 1969 in an effort to help meet the needs of the poor living in the Portland, Shawnee and Russell Neighborhoods of West Louisville and continues to strive to do so today. Approximately 700 to 900 households are served every month.
- Provides emergency aid with rent, utility bills, prescriptions, medical supplies
- Visits sick, elderly, and handicapped persons, and families in need
- Distributes food, personal hygiene supplies, furniture and clothing to people in crisis situations
- Provides transportation to city and state agencies, medical appointments, and shopping
- Assists people in obtaining help from public agencies
- Participates and collaborates with other agencies, i.e. distributing Winterhelp and FEMA funds