Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Communities In Schools of Pittsburgh-Allegheny County (CIS) is a private, non-profit dropout prevention organization that is an affiliate of the nation's largest and most effective stay-in-school network. The CIS Mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. We achieve our mission through working in public schools, facilitating after-school programs, and through CIS-operated, state-approved non-traditional alternative educational academies.
CIS believes that every child needs and deserves the five basics:1. A personal one-on-one relationship with a caring adult 2. A safe place to learn and grow 3. A healthy start and a healthy future 4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation 5. A chance to give back to peers and the community.
CIS of Pittsburgh-Allegheny County serves approximately 1,000 educationally at-risk students each year in the following programs:
In School Programs - Connections.CIS provides the link between schools and the community by placing a full-time coordinator in a school to provide integrated student services, bringing caring volunteer resources into the schools to address children’s unmet needs. Results:
- CIS coordinated over 1100 volunteer hours and worked with over 150 partnering businesses and organizations to serve 1,500 students last year.
- Of the CIS tracked students, 74% maintained or improved their academic achievement and 92% improved their attendance.
After-school and Summer Programs. Results:
- 53% of the students in CIS after-school programs improved school attendance
- 43% of the students participating improved regular school day attendance by 90%
- 60% of the students participating improved their math grades
- 57% of the students participating improved their reading grades