Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To provide inclusive sport and recreational activities to individuals of all ages, with and without physical disabilities and visual impairments, throughout eastern Iowa. We pledge to educate the community regarding the benefits of participation in physical activity for all persons with disabilities, and to advocate for their inclusion in all aspects of society.Vision Statement
SportAbility of Iowa seeks to empower individuals with physical disabilities in eastern Iowa through participation in inclusive sport and recreation activities, while demonstrating to the community the importance of acceptance and respect of diverse populations.Values
- Empowerment - participation in sport and physical activity contributes to autonomy, personal independence, and self-reliance
- Inclusion - providing the necessary individual adaptations, accommodations, and supports so everyone can benefit equally from participation in community experiences
- Diversity - a celebration of individual differences, encompassing acceptance and respect
Get Healthy, Stay Fit and Have Fun: The Benefits of Adaptive Sports
We want you to know that no matter your disability, age or skill level, an adaptive sports opportunity exists for you. But, besides the fun, new friendships and exercise, why should you consider adaptive sports? Studies show that adaptive sports provide the following clear benefits for people with physical disabilities or visual impairments:
- less stress
- reduced dependency on pain and depression medication
- fewer secondary medical conditions (i.e., diabetes, hypertension)
- higher achievement in education and employment
- greater independence
Participating in adaptive sports allows you to redefine yourself and live an active, healthy and fun lifestyle.
SportAbility of Iowa is dedicated to providing sport and recreation opportunities to people of all ages with physical disabilities throughout the eastern Iowa corridor. For more information on the programs we offer, see the list under SportAbility Quicklinks.
SportAbility of Iowa is also a Paralympic Sport Club--a community-based program developed in partnership with US Paralympics "to involve youth and adults with physical and visual disabilities in sports and physical activity, regardless of skill level."
Together with U.S. Paralympics, SportAbility of Iowa works to indentify, recruit, and support high-level athletes with physical and visual disabilities who want to take part in Paralympic competition.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!