Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
There is not a cure for Gist (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) cancer yet. You can help. 100% of all funds raised go directly to Cancer Research.
The Mission of the GIST Cancer Research Fund:
- To create funding to support research which is vital to the long-term survival of those coping with GIST.
- To provide patients and practitioners with more data on GIST.
- To provide information about GIST to the international community.
- To influence the U.S. Legislature in implementing policies towards coverage of oral drugs.
- To work side-by-side with medical facilities, creating GIST tumor tissue banks locally and internationally.
- To provide support for patients and families coping with GIST.
- To fund further research that creates methods of early detection for GIST.
All the money raised (100%) goes directly to research. Each person associated with the GIST Cancer Research Fund is a volunteer and does not receive any salary. Last year grants were given to 6 different cancer centers: Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York, Fox Chase in Philadelphia, University of Pittsburg, Dana Farber in Boston (Harvard), Oregon Health and Science University, and Dr. Jonathan Trent M.D., Anderson.
Gist San Jose Walk for a Cure.benefit
GIST CANCER RESEARCH FUND
(Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors) Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:30 am - 2:00 pm Almaden Lake Park Winfield Blvd & Coleman Avenue (Almaden Expy) SAN JOSE, CA
The WALK FOR A CURE is an event that was started in 2000 by a GIST cancer patient who lives in New York. The GIST Cancer Research Fund was founded to provide support to the community of patients diagnosed with gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) and their caregivers. It is the goal of the GCRF to provide patient support, generate awareness for GIST and raise funds to support continued research to expand the development and access of important life-saving therapies. GIST is a cancer that has no cure and afflicts thousands of people annually. With your help, research has helped to prolong and improve the quality of life for those coping with this cancer. We can't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
This will be the fifth year that the WALK will take place in San Jose. We are inviting GIST cancer patients from all over California as well as patients from other states to bring their families and friends to participate in this annual fundraiser. Invitations will be sent to some GIST cancer specialists to attend this event as well. We plan to bring awareness to the San Jose community of this life threatening cancer.