Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Since 1962, The Community Club has been dedicated to helping DC school students improve their academic skills, prepare for college and career, and become successful adults. We believe that providing students with a long-term, one-on-one relationship with a caring adult tutor/mentor provides students the best opportunity for academic and personal success.
Since 1962, Community Club has helped DC school students improve their academic skills, prepare for college and career, and become successful adults. The Club provides a supportive, secure environment where learning and understanding flourish. The structure of the program - long-term, one-on-one relationships between students and caring adult tutor-mentors - provides students the best opportunity for academic and personal success..
A student-tutor partnership typically lasts from two to six years, but many tutors and their students stay in touch long after graduation. They attend each other’s weddings, graduations and family funerals. Years later they still attend Club anniversary events and recruit tutors and students to the program. Over the decades, nearly 3,000 volunteers and more than 2,000 students have participated in the program. Community Club has a number of services that supplement the core tutoring sessions:
• Stay-in-School Scholarships for students with good attendance and a 2.5 grade point average
• Partial scholarships and support meetings for Community Club alumni attending college. Since 2000, our graduates have received over $550,000 in college scholarships either awarded directly by Community Club, or through nominations by Community Club for outside scholarships
• An outdoor weekend event for students and tutors each October
• A College Team providing guidance on college selection and financial aid
• Substitute tutors who step in when a tutor is ill or out of town
• Training sessions for tutors including an all-day workshop each January
• A well-stocked library staffed with two librarians during Study Hall
• Trophies for the six most improved students each grading period
• Annual graduation ceremony honoring Club graduates and Stay-in-School Scholars
- Tom Karr
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!