Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
PowerUp Gambia is a non profit organization whose mission is to improve health care in the Gambia by providing reliable electricity through sustainable solar energy solutions.
PowerUp Gambia (PUG) is dedicated to creating sustainable solar energy systems for health care facilities in the Gambia. It was founded in 2006 by Kathryn Cunningham Hall, a college student who spent a summer at a Gambian Hospital and witnessed first hand the limitations in patient care from electricity shortages. Since its inception, PUG has provided:
- 108 solar panels totaling 14 kilowatts to Sulayman Junkung General Hospital (SJG), a 200 bed tertiary care facility in Bwiam
- Eight solar panels for a one kilowatt system at the Somita health care clinic(a satellite of SJG) with a catchment area of 20,000
- Installation of an electricity general systems for Bansang Hospital. a tertiary care hospital with a 600,000 catchment area
Given its success in solving electricity solutions for tertiary and secondary health care facilities, PUG has redirected its focus to:
- Assuring sustainability of previously funded projects by training local Gambian residents on how to maintain the current solar systems
- Providng portable solutions to reach areas inaccessible to the national electricity grid
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!