Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Illinois Warrior to Warrior Peer support program aims to address the unique challenges facing Citizen Soldiers who often deploy multiple times and are isolated from those with whom they served once they return to their home communities. This peer-to-peer intervention uses military culture to overcome the stigma around asking for help that is so prevalent in the military. To do this, we are looking for volunteer Veterans who will attend drill weekends on a regular basis in order to provide support to those who need assistance in any area. Addressing smaller scale issues before they turn into large scale problems allows the Service Member to optimize their quality of life while getting support from their volunteer Veteran.
EXPECTATIONS OF VOLUNTEERS
- Volunteer for at least one year that will involve the following time commitments:
- Attend initial training (1 day)
- Attend on-going training twice a month (over phone for 1 hour in group format)
- Spend 1-2 hours a week following-up with referrals
- Spend one day per month for 3-4 hours with assigned unit during drill weekend
- Attend other events as necessary, such as Reintegration or Yellow Ribbon events.
- Engage with strangers face-to-face
- Be able and willing to use email and internet
- Complete interaction logs
- Search for referrals to resources
- Undergo a background check
- Maintain effective and frequent contact with outreach and program coordinators
- Comply with confidentiality requirements
- Four major tasks include:
- Establishing a positive relationship,
- Helping develop or maintain positive life skills,
- Assisting in case management, and
- Increasing assessment of and ability to interact with other social and culture groups.
If you are interested in volunteering for this program please complete our application located at www.ilwarriortowarrior.org/volunteers.
More information is available on our website or may call the Program Coordinator at
312-265-9101, should you have any questions.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!