Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the League of Human Dignity is to actively promote the full integration fo individuals with disabilities into society. To this end, we will advocate their needs and rights, and provide quality services to involve these persons in becoming and remaining independent citizens.
The League of Human Dignity is a non profit corporation that has been helping people with disabilities to live independently since 1971. The League was founded by people who experience disability and a majority of the League's staff are people with disabilities.
From its start, the League has been part of the independent living movement, which is based on the premise that people with even the most severe disabilites have the same civil rights as other Americans, including the right to choose where they live.
The League's Omaha Center for Independent Living opened in 1986 and serves Douglas and Sarpy counties. Our Southwest Iowa CIL opened in 1995 in Council Bluffs, seving Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Cass, Mills, Montgomery, Fremont and Page counties. The League also operates throughout Nebraska through offices in Lincoln, Norfolk, Scottsbluff, North Platte and Kearney.
Services Provided By the Omaha and Southwest Iowa Centers for Independent Living Include:
- Advocacy - Helping people with disabilities to be their own advocates and working to correct inequities in the systems that provide serves to people with disabilities.
- Barrier Removal Grants - Grants of up to $5,000 to income-eligible people with disabilites in Omaha and Council Bluffs, for modifications that make their homes more accessible, including lifts, ramps, roll-in showers, wider doorways, etc.
- Disability Awareness Training - Training for Businesses, government, schools, and other organizations to help people better understand what having a disability means, and to dispel myths about disability.
- Financial Benefits Coordination - Helping consumers determine their eligibility for benefits, subsidies, vouchers and other services.
- Housing Referral - Assisting people with disabilities to locate accessible and affordable community-based housing.
- Independent Living Skills Training - Developing and providing individualized training that helps people with disabilities increase their knowledge and skills to live independently.
- Information & Referral - Providing information on disability-related issues and referral to other organizations or programs.
- Nursing Home Transition - Helping people with disabilities in all aspects of moving from nursing home to their home or apartment.
- Peer Counseling & Support - Matching people who have learned to manage their disability with people who either are newly disabled or who are struggling with a particular issue.
- Personal Assistant Management Training - Training for people with disabilities in the skills needed to manage people providing personal care and chore services in their homes.
- Services Coordination (offered at Omaha office only) - Case management and support for people with disabilities, helping them coordinate services they receive in their homes under Nebraska's Medicaid Waver program - services that help them remain in their homes.
- Jennifer Gutierrez
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!