Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To build a generation of healthy, active and responsible kids.
- Organized by Kids Triathlon, Inc. (a 501c(3) entity), this event will attract 800 racers to Centennial Park. This is one of very few USAT sanctioned kids triathlons planned to be held in Tennessee during 2012, and it will be one of the ten largest kids triathlon in the United States.
- Race distances are set by the USAT and are designed to be challenging but achievable for kids. Ages 5 - 10 will swim 100 yards; bike 3 miles; and run 0.5 miles. Ages 11 - 15 will swim 200 yards; bike 6 miles; and run 1 mile. The swim is in the Metroplex pool, and the bike and run courses are closed to traffic with the safety of the participants the primary objective.
- One of the hallmarks of the Nashville Kids Triathlon is our goal to attract as many first-time triathletes as possible. We want to connect with kids who would not otherwise even dream about competing in a triathlon. At the center of this effort is our commitment to donate Triathlon Starter Kits (including a new bike, helmet, running shoes, swim gear and race registration) to anyone who needs this stuff to participate.
- At least 12 of the YMCA branches across Middle Tennessee will conduct a 7-week training course to help prepare the kids for the race. These sessions will be open to the public and will start in early April. They will focus on general conditioning along with specific tips and techniques for each of the 4 disciplines required in triathlons - swimming, biking, running and transitions.
- The Nashville Kids Triathlon is the first race ever to incorporate Celebrity Big Kids in the event. The top priority of these "famous racers" from throughout the community is to help the kids have more fun. In addition to cheering for the kids, they will bring publicity to the event, hand out awards and sign autographs. As a finale to race day, the Big Kids will bust out their triathlon gear and take part in their very own Celebrity Triathlon (on the Ages 5 - 10 course).
- Another unique component of the Nashville Kids Triathlon is our Pre-Race Pep Rally the night before the race. This gives all participants an opportunity to pick-up their race packets and to preview the race course. The highlight of the evening will be a Pep Talk delivered by at least one member of the Celebrity Big Kids. It will also give everyone another chance to recognize and to thank our sponsors.
- Successful completion of the event will result in more than $20,000 of charitable donations. There are 3 primary beneficiaries of the 2012 event:
- The YMCA’s Strong Kids Program;
- The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt; and
- Fundraising opportunities for teams, leagues, churches, community organizations and schools who bring multiple kids to the race (paid on a per kid basis)
- Triathlon is one of the fastest-growing sports in the world, and this event introduces kids to a healthy, positive lifestyle that encourages daily exercise, good nutrition and making the right choices. It is a sport that rewards preparation, strength, endurance and attention to detail.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!