Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Brooklyn Community Services is building a better Brooklyn by strengthening families, helping children and youth reach their full potential, and supporting adults in leading productive, fulfilling lives.
We celebrate the strength of the hman spirit. our vision is of a Brooklyn where everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow and contribute to our community.
About Brooklyn Community Services (BCS)
Brooklyn Community Services (BCS), formerly the Brooklyn Bureau of Community Service, was founded in 1866, based on our founders’ firm commitment to assist Brooklyn’s neediest and most disadvantaged citizens. Our first project was the Newsboys Home, a refuge for thousands of unschooled, impoverished and unwanted boys who lived by their wits on Brooklyn’s streets. Over the years, we have strengthened countless families at risk of separation; supported and stabilized people with psychiatric illnesses; helped adults with physical and developmental disabilities participate fully in the community; enabled people to move from welfare to work; and offered guidance, education and support to children.
Today, Brooklyn Community Services is one of the oldest not-for-profit, non-sectarian social service providers in New York City and one of the largest in Brooklyn. Our mission is to build a better Brooklyn by strengthening families, helping children and youth reach their full potential, and supporting adults in leading productive, fulfilling lives.We celebrate the strength of the human spirit. Our vision is of a Brooklyn where everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to our community.
With programs in 17 Brooklyn locations, as well as hundreds of job training sites in businesses across New York City, BCS serves more than 10,000 people each year through a diverse range of programs and services, focusing on three areas:
(1) Helping Children & Youth Achieve Their Full Potential
- Literacy-based Child Care, Early Learning and Afterschool Programs.
- A Transfer High School that helps over-age, under-credited Brooklyn youth graduate with a Regents Diploma.
- Education and Youth Development opportunities for out-of-school adolescents.
(2) Strengthening Families
These programs strengthen families by helping members to maintain unity during a crisis and build parenting skills. BCS’s Family Programs include:
- Family Counseling & Preservationservices that help heal and stabilize at-risk families and prevent the unnecessary placement of children in foster care.
- In-Home Assistance to ill or disabled parents who experience difficulty managing their homes on their own.
(3) Supporting Adults in Leading Productive, Fulfilling Lives
These programs primarily serve people who contend with mental illness, mental retardation, physical disabilities and developmental and learning disabilities. BCS provides:
- Job Training and Placementservices.
- Counseling, Peer Support and Pre-Vocational Training.