Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Mission: Founded in 1978, Breakthrough Collaborative has changed the lives of tens of thousands of students, utilizing a unique dual mission to:
• Increase academic opportunity for highly motivated, underserved students and put them on the trajectory of a successful college path; and
• Inspire and develop the next generation of teachers and educational leaders.
Who We Serve
At 33 locations across the nation and abroad, Breakthrough Collaborative launches motivated middle-school students on the path to college and prepares older students for careers in education. A national nonprofit, Breakthrough Collaborative is devoted to preparing high-achieving middle-school students, most of whom are of color and from low-income families, to enter and succeed in college-preparatory high school programs. Breakthrough also recruits and trains outstanding high school and college students to become Breakthrough teachers and build an interest in careers as educators.
Breakthrough students develop as highly motivated academic achievers who believe passionately in their ability to go to college.What We Do
The core of all Breakthrough programs is a proven students teaching students model. Promising students engage in academically rigorous coursework taught by their bright and energetic young teachers, while a supportive community sustains them on their path to college.
- Breakthrough engages students with demanding academic curricula,
- helps middle school students thrive in the top college preparatory high schools in their communities,
- provides ongoing support to help every student earn admission to a four-year college, and
- creates teaching opportunities for outstanding high school and college students.
Learn more about Breakthrough Programs.National Impact
- Breakthrough affiliates are at 33 sites across the U.S. and in Hong Kong
- Prepares over 700 student teachers and 5,400 college-bound students annually
- Ranked as a Princeton Review Top 10 Internship
- In its 32-year history, Breakthrough has helped more than 20,000 students prepare for college
- By 2012 Breakthrough will deepen and expand its program impact to serve more students and teachers in more cities.
Learn more about why Breakthrough is essential to helping middle school students get on the path to college. Why Breakthrough?Where We Are
Breakthrough has broad reach and national impact. Breakthrough Collaborative is a national network with one national office based in San Francisco, 33 affiliates nationwide and one in Hong Kong. Find an affiliate.Our History
Founded in 1978 as "Summerbridge," Breakthrough Collaborative has grown to serve an alumni network of over 20,000 educated students and teachers! Read more about our history.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!