Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
An independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County (HFHSSBC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to building simple, low-cost homes in partnership with low-income families in need of decent and affordable housing.
Since our incorporation in 2000, we have not only completed our own projects but have also collaborated with other non-profits on rehabilitation projects for homeless shelters, senior housing and day care centers, and renovated homes of residents who were too infirm to make needed upgrades.
Our Program services consist of three main elements:
1) The cost effective building of homes for low income families:
- In 2007 we completed our Via Lucero building project: three homes for low income families in Santa Barbara.
- In November 2009 we will start construction on our San Pascual building project: four homes for low income families in Santa Barbara
2) The Habitat ReStore- a resource for recycling building materials in the community
- The ReStore is an earned-income initiative that provides a three-fold benefit: the acquisition of highly usable materials for our Habitat homes at no cost, a steady stream of revenue (from sales) to be used to support our mission to eliminate substandard housing, the opportunity to divert a great amount of usable building materials from local landfills. Habitat ReStores around the country promote awareness and responsive action about our environment while funding administrative costs.
- The ReStore is located at: 6725 Hollister Ave., Goleta, CA 93117
- Open Hours: Wednesdays - Fridays 12pm - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 5pm
3) A family partnership curriculum which provides the guidance and skills necessary for selected families to be successful long-term homeowners.
- The Family Partnership curriculum is an essential part of our program and is critical to preserving the benefits our work provides to the families and the community. The goal of the curriculum is to give the partner families the tools they will need to succeed. It is a 16-month program that includes financial literacy topics such as: budgeting and saving, maintaining good credit, investment and retirement planning, the mortgage process, and accomplishing goals. It also includes topics on insurance, homeowners' association operations, home maintenance, and resale restrictions. All of the topics are taught by qualified professionals in the field and each family has a mentor to help guide them through the process.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!