The 2018 hurricane season has been extraordinarily active in parts of the U.S., with Hurricane Florence currently impacting millions in the Carolinas. As this natural disaster unfolds, the staff here at VolunteerMatch is doing its part to ensure that, if you are in an affected community, you are prepared and safe. And if you are looking to help with disaster relief efforts, you know about the most effective ways to contribute.
To create arts opportunities for every member of our community. To achieve objectives, the Arts Center takes a three pronged approach: 1. Exhibits - local, regional, national and international artists are featured in our three galleries. Three studen... Read more
To create arts opportunities for every member of our community.
To achieve objectives, the Arts Center takes a three pronged approach:
1. Exhibits - local, regional, national and international artists are featured in our three galleries. Three student programs are hosted annually including one by the Danville Learning Disabilities Association. Additional exhibits are shown throughout the community with installations in vacant store-fronts and the local hospital.
2. Events - programs in and out of the Arts Center building are targeted toward specific demographics. The Dantastic Race (like TV’s Amazing Race) takes 20-40 year olds throughout the region to discover little known artistic and cultural aspects of their community. The Zombie Prom encourages teenagers to create new personas and socially interact in a safe environment. The Thriller Dance down Main Street brings together people of all ages to view or participate in a modern American classic musical and dance event.
3. Education - classes, camps, and lessons are available throughout the year to provide high quality arts education close to home. Private and group music lessons on a variety of instruments, voice lessons and painting/drawing lessons are available for children and adults.
Impact Statement The mission of the Community Arts Center is broad in reach but clear in its mandate: to create arts opportunities for every member of our community. The Arts Center’s current programs include:
1. The Annual blockbuster exhibit - encouraging visitors to explore themes (dinosaurs, trains, outer-space) through the arts - visual, auditory, participatory. Drawing visitors from throughout the state and beyond its borders, this exhibit depends heavily on over 75 volunteers who invest 1500+ hours for the annual exhibit in January & February.
2. Funded in part by Hudson-Ellis Funds, the Arts Center provides arts programs to cognitively delayed adults, troubled youth and impoverished families; 240 individuals engaged in arts activities.
3. Starry Night Studio, a social painting experience, helps individuals explore painting without critique. Classes are offered twice each month. 190 individuals have filled 457 class seats since the program’s inception in 2010.
4. Started in 2009, the monthly Lunch with the Arts program brings visual or performing artists to the Arts Center to demonstrate, lecture or perform during the lunch hour. Average attendance is 53 and the audience typically consists of senior citizens and employees of downtown businesses.
5. Children attend summer arts camps at the Arts Center; need-based scholarship money is available through a sister organization.
6. Works by over 200 local to internationally recognized artists are exhibited in the 3 galleries with many works for sale.
7. Initiated January 2011, the Danville Children's Choir began weekly rehearsals for children in grades 4-7.