Action on Smoking and HealthAction on Smoking and Health
Vision: To protect the rights of nonsmokers by reducing the needless toll of smoking. To educate, encourage and assist smokers to quit. Mission: * To protect nonsmokers from the clearly-established dangers of secondhand tobacco smoke; * To reduce the... Read more
To protect the rights of nonsmokers by reducing the needless toll of smoking. To educate, encourage and assist smokers to quit.
* To protect nonsmokers from the clearly-established dangers of secondhand tobacco smoke;
* To reduce the deadly toll of smoking by banning the advertising and promotion of cigarettes, and by keeping them out of the hands of children;
* To force those who use or profit from tobacco to pay the enormous costs of smoking which are now borne largely by nonsmokers;
* To end all government support of the tobacco industry;
* To serve as a clearinghouse of information and ideas for all people concerned about smoking, both here and abroad.
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) is a national nonprofit legal action and educational organization fighting for the rights of nonsmokers against the many problems of smoking. ASH uses the tremendous power of the law to represent nonsmokers in courts and legislative bodies and before regulatory agencies.
ASH was formed in 1967 by John F. Banzhaf III, and a distinguished body of physicians, attorneys and other prominent citizens who saw the need for an effective organization to represent nonsmokers' rights. Although its income is tiny compared with the big national health organizations also active in the field, ASH has been a major factor in the war against smoking. For this reason, and because of its location in the nation's media center, ASH has also emerged as a major spokesperson for nonsmokers on radio and television and in the print media.
Unlike the many smaller state, local and specialty antismoking organizations with which it cooperates closely, ASH is active with regard to all aspects of the problems of smoking and nonsmokers' rights, and has a truly national focus.