Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Promoting dignity, independence and quality of life for all through education, compassion and effective community-based care.
Volunteers are vital to HCI Hospice Care Services, formerly Hospice of Central Iowa. In fact, there are four times as many volunteers as there are HCI Care Services employees. Volunteers play an important role, enhancing quality of life for patients and their families.
Volunteers carry out a multitude of tasks every day, including:
- Caring for patients in their homes and in nursing care facilities
- Sitting with patients while family steps out
- Assisting with homemaking duties
- Running errands
- Helping out at HCI Giving Tree stores
- Transporting patients to appointments
- Assisting with administrative tasks at HCI Hospice Care Services locations
- Greeting visitors to our hospice houses
- Providing ongoing bereavement support to families and assisting with support groups
- Bringing baked goods to patients and families
- Helping care for the grounds at our hospice houses
- Sitting with patients at the 11th hour
- Bringing their own talents to the table
Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer Program
Our Veteran-to-Veteran Program is a special service pairing veterans who are volunteers with patients who have served our country. Veteran Partners provide companionship while talking, reading and sitting with patients. Sometimes veterans feel most comfortable sharing their experiences with fellow veterans.
Pet Peace of Mind Program
The Pet Peace of Mind program is designed to assist hospice patients and families with the care of their beloved pets at a time when they are least able to provide for them.
HCI Giving Tree thrift stores
HCI Care Services operates two thrift stores (Urbandale, IA and Des Moines, IA) where proceeds from donations and sales support patients and families served by HCI Hospice Care Services. Learn more at hcigivingtree.org.