Compassion Coalition 2007 Statistics
1. As of September 2007, Compassion Coalition has 99 member churches who participate in various coalition activities.
2. Compassion Coalition's Love INC Clearinghouse connects those in need with churches, ministries, and agencies in our community providing counseling, mentoring, clothing, food, lodging, and other needs. From January to August 2007 the Clearinghouse received 2,809 calls and made 2,176 referrals. Twelve volunteers from 6 different denominations completed 541 intakes, connecting 146 individuals with a church.
3. From January to August 2007 the Furniture Ministry, a collaboration of 12 churches, served 605 families with the assistance of 377 volunteers. The Knoxville community made 325 donations to the ministry.
4. "Making money work " budget classes were implemented in October of 2006. Since then, 567 individuals who needed assistance with their utility bills have learned how to better manage their finances. Three Compassion Coalition Churches and the Community Action Committee facilitate the classes each week.
5. Restorative Justice is a collaboration between the churches and ministries of Compassion Coalition, Knox County District Attorney Randy Nichols' office, and Juvenile Court that gives juvenile offenders the opportunirty to complete THEIR COURT ordered community service hours alongside believers. The ministry serves an average of 60 youth per month at 20 sites across the county, averaging 10,500 hours of community service per year. The recidivism rate of restorative justice youth IS ONLY 10%, compared to the national average of 60% of criminals who repeat the undesirable behavior even after they have experienced negative consequences of that behavior.
6. Compassion Coalition provided a new training in 2007 called "Working on the Front Lines: A Training for Those Taking Assistance Calls." Thirty-three people from 14 churches and 9 dEnominations attended the training.
7. An Advisory Board of pastors from 27 churches was formed this year. This board is composed of leaders from every geographical area of the city , 11 denoMinations and 3 independent churches . Twenty-two members attended The first meeting on September 13, 2007 .
8. Compassion Coalition has three major projects underway that will culminate with significant assets available to facilitate the work of the ministry. These three projects are : The 3rd edition of the Salt & Light Guidebook, The Salt & Light WebSite, and The Salt & Light Tools and Training.