Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To provide access to the services homeless people need to survive, become stable, and achieve self-sufficient lives.GOALS and OBJECTIVES
- Provide a safe and legal place to sleep in south county that is safe, clean and respectful of both clients and the community
- Provide basic needs such as bathrooms, showers, laundry and food
- Provide a one-stop center with referrals and resources
- Develop an income-generating job-training program that will prepare people for employment and provide operating revenue for the center
- Compassion for those who need help
- Respect for people of different faiths, perspectives, and abilities
- Cooperation among individuals and organizations working towards the same goals
- Partnership rather than duplication
A pathway to stability that maintains self-respect and recognizes the dignity of each human being.
Although many south county residents are not aware of the large number of homeless individuals in our communities, the numbers are truly shocking. The 2011 Point-in-Time Homeless Census found 400 just in Gilroy,-- and almost 1000 in other parts of South County. The Gilroy Homeless Outreach Task Force has determined that both an emergency shelter and one-stop services are needed to meet the needs of the community.
Many agencies in greater Santa Clara County offer exemplary services for the homeless, yet the majority of these services are not accessible to the homeless residents of South County, many of whom face significant transportation and cultural barriers. There is no year-round emergency shelter located in South County.
In 2011, a group of concerned citizens in South County came together to address the absence of critical services, and lack of coordination for existing services, and formed The Gilroy Compassion Center to take the lead in addressing the problem of homelessness in South County.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!