Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
The Jewish Community Relations Council of New York (JCRC-NY), founded in 1976, serves as the central coordinating and resource body for the Jewish community in the metropolitan New York area in the community relations field. The JCRC-NY meets the growing demands placed upon it as an active force in New York civic and communal life.
The JCRC-NY operates as a coordinating body with its member organizations to foster joint and cooperative action among its members to:
- Promote equality of opportunity and full civil rights and civil liberties for Jewish and all other racial, religious and ethnic groups in New York.
- Encourage amicable relationship and mutual understanding and respect among the various groups in New York.
- Help create and maintain conditions that are conducive to encouraging the continuity and vitality of Jewish living in a pluralistic society.
- Protect and strengthen the rights and interests of the Jewish community in New York.
- Combat anti-Semitism and every other form of racism or group prejudice.
- Develop an intelligent and effective public opinion within and outside the Jewish community on Jewish community relations issues, problems, concerns and commitments.
- Provide fora for Jewish communal leadership to exchange views with key local, national and global public officials and opinion molders.
Central to the focus of the JCRC-NY are matters of concern to the Jewish community in the New York metropolitan area - including local matters, regional and national issues, and community relations activities related to Israel and other international Jewish concerns. JCRC’-NYs policies on Israel and other international concerns should be consistent with positions determined by the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations.
As a representative organization of New York’s diverse Jewish community, the agenda of the JCRC-NY is, in fact, a catalog of Jewish activities, issues, and programs reflecting the concerns, needs and aspirations of our community. Local, national and international events, the concerns of our member organizations, and directives from national organizations, help shape the priorities of the JCRC-NY. Emphasis is placed on joint planning to maximize available resources and benefit from sharing information and expertise as well as fostering cooperative efforts. This spirit of cooperation and accommodation permeates the deliberations of the JCRC-NY, which has served as a forum to bring together the various viewpoints and constituencies that make up our community.
In fulfilling these responsibilities, JCRC-NY will:
- act as a central spokesperson for the Jewish community on communal relations matters (consistent with the consultative process described in the by-laws); and
- serve as the focal point for community action in times of crisis (consistent with the crisis management process agreed to by member agencies).
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!