Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of The Houston READ Commission is to lead and mobilize a coalition of literacy providers and resources to improve the literacy landscape of Houston.
The Houston READ Commission promotes economic self-sufficiency and individual determination through programs that offer adult basic education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL), GED preparation (GED), family, financial and computer literacy.
What We Do for the Community:
- Operate demonstration learning centers, including sites designed specifically for family and workplace literacy (programs offered in basic skills, pre-GED, GED and English as a Second Language);
- Provide free training for tutors and instructors;
- Forge public/private sector partnerships to sponsor literacy programs and public awareness activities;
- Track the progress of literacy program participants to measure effectiveness of services and help students achieve their goals;
- Maintain a central database on literacy services to identify neighborhoods and groups in need of programs;
- Raise needed resources to support and coordinate literacy services in Houston;
- Maintain the city-wide literacy helpline to place students and tutors in programs; and
- Advocate to local, state and federal agencies and the business community to enhance awareness of the literacy problem in our state and nation.
- Maria Maradiaga
- (713) 640-8223
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!