Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of The Houston READ Commission is to lead and mobilize a coalition of literacy providers and resources to improve the literacy landscape of Houston.
The Houston READ Commission promotes economic self-sufficiency and individual determination through programs that offer adult basic education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL), GED preparation (GED), family, financial and computer literacy.
What We Do for the Community:
- Operate demonstration learning centers, including sites designed specifically for family and workplace literacy (programs offered in basic skills, pre-GED, GED and English as a Second Language);
- Provide free training for tutors and instructors;
- Forge public/private sector partnerships to sponsor literacy programs and public awareness activities;
- Track the progress of literacy program participants to measure effectiveness of services and help students achieve their goals;
- Maintain a central database on literacy services to identify neighborhoods and groups in need of programs;
- Raise needed resources to support and coordinate literacy services in Houston;
- Maintain the city-wide literacy helpline to place students and tutors in programs; and
- Advocate to local, state and federal agencies and the business community to enhance awareness of the literacy problem in our state and nation.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!