Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Reel Works provides a free filmmaking workshops for NYC teens. Using a unique one-on-one mentoring model, we challenge at-risk youth to tell their stories and have their voices heard. In turn, they build vital skills of literacy, leadership and self-confidence to create productive futures.
Who We Serve
Reel Works serves teens 14-19 from across New York City.
- 64% Are minorities
- 53% Come from low-income homes
- 46% Live in singe-parent households
- 33% Are at-risk of dropping out or other negative behaviors.
All have a story to tell. Stories of identity, loss, racism, homelessness or the struggle to stay in school and off drugs. We give them a mentor, a camera and a chance to be heard.
Over seven million viewers have seen our student films across all media since our founding in 2001.Why Reel Works?
- Half of all NYC teens are at risk of dropping out. At Reel Works, 99% of our teens graduate high school 95% go on to college.
- 95% of NYC public schools have no media arts program. Reel Works partners with over 20 high schools to provide free, after school and in-school workshops for over 200 teens annually.
- 90% of teens have never had a mentor. All Reel Works teens are matched 1:1 with a professional filmmaker-mentor.
- Mari Irizarry
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!