Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the Readiness Center is to provide educational programs for low-income parents and their pre-school through grade five children with the goal of fostering self-esteem in both parents and children by offering a variety of educational opportunities in a setting wherein they can be successful.
The Readiness Center provides the following programs:
1. A Preschool Program (ages 3-5)
This program is unique because the parent attends with the child. For the first ½ hour the parent and child work together, with the parent as the teacher, then the child continues the preschool day and the parent attends a class (offerings follow).
2. Offerings for Parents
A. Computer Class
- Volunteers provide individualized help to learn or update skills. Parents may also study for their G.E.D. on our software.
B. Craft, Sewing and Cooking Classes
- Each group determines what they want to do.
C. Parenting Classes
- These are on-going throughout the year, and monthly luncheons with speakers are planned by the participants.
3. City Kids' Program (K-5)
- This is a homework assistance program that integrates prevention programs and enhances learning with our educational games, software, and lending library.
4. Teen Volunteer/Work 50/50 Program
Teens work as mentors in the City Kids’ program and do cleaning and preparation (cutting, assembling) of preschool materials. They are paid for 50% of their work time. The teens learn needed job skills.