Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Dragonfly Foundation provides comfort and joy to kids and young adults enduring cancer and bone marrow transplants (BMT). In addition, we support the quality of life needs of the Cancer & Blood Diseases Institute (CBDI) of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC).
The Dragonfly Foundation provides distractions from the emotional, physical and financial toll of cancer and bone marrow transplant treatment, recovery, and maintenance while supporting the in-hospital quality of life needs of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Cancer & Blood Diseases Institute.
"Gifts" for the Hospital, Patients and Families/Caregivers
- Distractions (toys, electronics, video games and more) and gifts provided directly to the hospital (for inventory replenishment) and to patients, both in- and out-patient
- New Diagnosis/Extended Stay CARE Packages [bags include personal care items, office (file folder, pens, dry erase board, etc.) and laundry supplies, a hospital in-room meal card and our tips book.]
Psycho-social Events and Entertainment
- 5 Patient/Family Events PER WEEK on average
- Suite at US Bank Arena though 2013
- Events using donated tickets and suites at various venues (Suites are especially important to our kids with compromised immune systems)
- Dragonfly-sponsored events, such as our Picnic and Kings Island Day
- Monthly Movie Mornings at Danbarry Cinemas
- Spa Days & Horseback Riding Days
- Day Camp Opportunities
- Celebrity Meet & Greets at events, at The Landing and at Cincinnati Children’s
- Caregiver, child-only, sibling-only, young adult-only events
Emotional Health, Awareness and Support Programs
- The Landing: A 6,000 sq. ft. clubhouse for patients and families ("Every Dragonfly Needs A Place To Land") - a great place for our families to connect with one another
- "I'm Still Me" Hair Loss Care Package and Public Awareness Programs
- Beads of Courage
- Sky Panels, florescent light covers that look like skylights
- 24-page Tips Booklet of patient care tips and practical advice ("Parents to Parents")
- Laptop Program (Donated 26 to date) to help patients remain connected
- Holiday Help (where supporters can "adopt" families during the holidays)
- Birthday Card Program with community coupons
- Connections with supporters and other organizations
The Dragonfly Difference
The Dragonfly Foundation holds a unique place in the landscape of non-profit organizations focused on pediatric cancer. This is The Dragonfly Difference:
- We support patients from birth to age 30, from their date of diagnosis until they are 5-years past treatment/BMT.
- Cincinnati Children's says we "have had a transformational influence on improving the patient experience."
- We provide multiple, ongoing event opportunities, as well as provide distractions, gifts and entertainment for the patient and their family. The patients, as well as their siblings and parents/caregivers experience isolation, loneliness, fear and anxiety related to the diagnosis and treatment. While only one person is receiving treatment, all affected benefit from our C.A.R.E. as we define it (Caring, Community and Awareness that Results in better Emotional Health).
- In many cases, the fundamental needs of a family are left to one organization and quality of life support to another. TDF is there to provide comprehensive C.A.R.E.