Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
A worldwide charitable fellowship united by a common loyalty to Jesus Christ for the purpose of help person grow in spirit, mind, and body.
Our mission is To develop the full potential of our youth in Spirit, Mind & Body, both inside and out of the classroom by connecting each youth to a mentor"
The Building Futures program trains adult volunteers to provide mentoring services to young people ages 10-17 for a one-year time-frame.
Site Directors will screen and train volunteers to serve as mentors and provide:
- Academic Support
- Career & College Exploration
- Emotional Support
- Social Skills Enhancement
We aim to help develop tools to cope with issues such as low self-esteem, family and peer conflicts, academic underachievement and decision-making skills. The youth are referred from other YMCA Urban Services Youth Development Center programs.
- 4 weeks of training - Four consecutive sessions on Tuesday evenings from 6 pm - 8:45 pm, Thursday mornings from 9 am - 12 noon, or Thursday evenings from 6 pm - 8:45 pm, Additional dates TBD
- 1-3 hours each week with child (flexible - scheduled by mentor and child)
- Designated group activities and one-on-one activity options are available
- Connect youth to adults to promote positive, consistent, and growth inducing relationships.
- Increase youth self-esteem, school performance, decision-making skills, and healthy interpersonal relationships.
- Desire to work with youth;
- Interest in mentoring;
- No prior felony convictions;
- Must complete background screening for security purposes (costs covered by the YMCA);
- No DUIs on your driving record (if you plan to drive with mentee);
- If you plan to drive and own a car, you must provide proof of auto liability insurance and recent print-out of driving record;
- One year commitment to a child.
Training and Support:
As a mentor, you will attend a 4-week course on topics such as: listening skills, family systems and dynamics and legal and ethical issues in the mentoring relationships. If accepted into the program you will then be matched with a child.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!