Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To give every child an opportunity to be curious and excited about science.
To spark, cultivate, and promote children’s interest in science.
Eight Overarching Goals that Support Our Mission and Vision
- Promote children’s interest in science. To enable our children to excel in science and math, major in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in post-secondary schools, and ultimately embrace a STEM career, we are passionately committed to this endeavor.
- Reinforce classroom learning. Statistics show that in the summer students forget up to 80 percent of what they learned during the school year. This program is designed to reinforce classroom learning and promote retention through fun, hands-on science projects and math games.
- Demystify complex science topics by using our inside-out approach. Our approach engages campers in creative projects and experiments. As they watch their efforts come to life and are "wowed" by their accomplishments, we begin teaching the science behind their achievement. This approach has been proven extremely effective in sustaining interest in science.
- Expose children to career options in science. We invite scientists in various fields to speak about their jobs and how they were attracted to them. This is designed to help students understand that the astronauts, meteorologists, engineers, doctors, and other scientists they hear about started out just like they are.
- Improve the health and wellbeing of children. Breaks, play activities, lunch recommendations and targeted science lessons are designed to promote physical activity, health and wellbeing.
- Teach money-management skills. We teach the value of saving and building wealth (e.g., personal finance, banking, investment, and tips for starting and running a business) as part of our curricula. Effective money-management skills help our campers as they strive to succeed as students and scientists.
- Teach proper etiquette and character. The purpose of our etiquette and character-development lessons is to prepare children to confidently and successfully navigate any social setting. Campers learn to develop confidence in themselves and cultivate the belief that they can achieve whatever they set their minds to. This mind-set will help them enter and succeed in science fields.
- Take fun, educational field trips. We all look forward to having fun in the summer. That's why we have built eight thrilling trips, one each week, into our program. Some of our destinations are the Liberty Science Center, Statue of Liberty, The Franklin Institute, Battleship New Jersey, Northlandz, Crayola Factory, Camden Children's Garden, Insectropolis, and the Seashell Museum.
Wow! Science Camp is an IRS-qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit summer day camp that features fun, participative science experiments and projects, math review and math games, money management skills, etiquette lessons, and thrilling weekly field trips.
Wow! Science Camp is for children ages five to fourteen. Runs from 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday, for eight weeks. For the 2011 season, camp will run from June 27 to August 19. Our camps are located in Cherry Hill, Clementon, Glassboro, and Pleasantville all in South Jersey.