Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Westwind Brass exists to broaden and enrich the musical legacy of local, national and international audiences through performance and educational services featuring brass instruments and music.
Through our outreach programs, our goal is to not only help provide a well-rounded education for children and create a healthier community, but also, by offering students the chance to participate in this learning process, we help build the future arts audience.
Historical Background: Incorporated in 1992, Westwind Brass (WWB) is a professional ensemble devoted to increasing people's awareness of music. WWB has been acclaimed by The Los Angeles Times and others for its virtuosity, musical integrity, and diverse programming. Performing since 1986, WWB has received recognition as a top prizewinner in two international brass competitions. WWB has performed for the Music Educators National conference and has given frequent performances for the California Music Educators Association state conferences. The ensemble has been on the touring rosters of the California Arts Council, Los Angeles Music Center, and the Orange County Performing Arts Center.
The group has received support for its educational programs from the City of San Diego, San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture, California Arts Council and the National Endowment for the Arts. In residence at San Diego State University, the ensemble is nationally recognized for its critically acclaimed residencies, educational performances and concerts. The groups is an active member in AERO (Arts Education Roundtable) San Diego and has participated in the Visual and Performing Arts Standards Workshops which focus on the Framework and Content Standards for the State of California.
Current Programs & Activities: In fulfilling its mission, Westwind Brass:
• presents concerts of the entire spectrum of brass music from classical to music of other cultures and jazz in four venues in San Diego county (The Neurosciences Institute of La Jolla, La Mesa First United Methodist Church, the North Chapel at NTC and San Diego State University)
• engages children and adults through a variety of outreach/educational experiences: lecture-demonstrations, workshops, master classes, and in-school concerts (over the past 20 years, Westwind Brass has provided musical performances for over 350,000 students, new Arts Partner with San Diego Unified School District Grade Level Arts Experience and the Balboa Park Program (5th Grade students)
• supports national and international touring of the ensemble (28 states in the US, Japan tour and partnerships with the US Consulate & US Embassy, Mexico City, to provide educational programs to cities in Baja California and the state of Sonora, Mexico)
• regularly produces recordings featuring the ensemble's unique repertoire (with a discography of 8 CDs)
• preserves the art form of the classical brass instruments both in their original sound and in their contribution to modern arrangements (Brassquake Press)
- Barry Toombs
- (619) 501-3562
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!