Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The GFWC Tampa Woman's Club (TWC) is a member of the GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC Florida) and the General Federation of Women's Clubs, one of the largest and oldest women's volunteer organizations in the world. Our goal is to work together in the spirit of friendship and service to better the quality of life in the Tampa area through partnerships and community service.
The GFWC Tampa Woman's Club was organized in 1900 by 10 members as a cultural and social organization meeting regularly for literary discussions and refreshments at what is now the University of Tampa. As membership grew, their interests widened and in 1913 the Club was accepted into the GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC Florida). Educational and welfare projects became part of the members' concerns.The ladies:
- Contributed to the Liberty War Bonds Program in the 1920's.
- Helped establish the Tampa Public Library.
- Supported the County Milk Fund, American Red Cross, American Cancer Society.
- Helped Tampa General Hospital with the purchase of specialized equipment; the first iron lung, kidney dialysis machines, open heart surgery equipment, etc.
The Club has also worked with MacDonald Training Center, Hillsborough Community Hospital, Shriner's Hospital, Reach Out to Cancer Kids (R.O.C.K.) Camp and more.
We moved to our current location "overlooking beautiful Bayshore Boulevard and Tampa Bay" in 1972.Community Service Programs
The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) has established six main emphasis areas to give our members opportunities to explore their interests and give back to their Community.
- The Arts: members utilize their creative talents, support women in the Arts and provide arts projects with children.
- Conservation: members participate in local clean-ups, recycling programs and natural resources conservation.
- Education: members provide scholarships, reading programs and educational materials.
- Home Life: members address health issues and issues that affect families. Some projects include Reaching Out to Cancer Kids (R.O.C.K.) Camp, Canine Companions, March of Dimes, and financial issues.
- International Outreach: promotes cooperation and allows members to make a difference internationally with projects such as UNICEF, CARE, CURE, Cambodian Floating School and third world country orphanages.
- Public Issues : members make the public aware of crime prevention, victim's rights, safety, Veterans and legislation relating to these same issues.
Regular Club meetings are held monthly, September through May, on the first Thursday of each month at our Clubhouse. We have a day meeting starting promptly at 10:30am followed by lunch and a program related to one of our Emphasis Areas.
We also have a night meeting starting promptly at 6:30pm for working ladies. Their business meeting is held at the Clubhouse or at a member's home and is followed by a potluck dinner unless they choose to go to a restaurant.
- GFWC Tampa Woman's Club
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!