Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Centers for New Horizons, Inc. Overview
Founded in 1971, Centers for New Horizons, Inc. ('Centers') is a nonprofit organization that enables children, youth, and families to become self-reliant. With 198 full time staff, most of who live in or near its service communities, Centers provides programs in 7 locations throughout the Bronzeville and Riverdale communities of Chicago's South Side that reach over 1,000 individuals daily. Centers is accredited by the Council on Accreditation and NAEYC Accredited. Centers' $10.1 million annual budget is supported by government grants and contracts, the United Way, foundations, corporations, individuals, and fundraising events.
Children and Youth Services Program:
- Early Care & Education is the foundational program of Centers for New Horizons, supporting working parents and enabling young children to get off to a great start in school and in life. Centers offers high quality center-based early childhood care and education for 375 children ages 0-5 in 3 centers.
- Youth & Family Development provides out of school hours programming for 1500 children and youth ages 6-19 and teaches children in Bronzeville elementary schools to make positive life choices.
- Provider Services recruits and trains early childhood educators throughout the city's south side, and supports in-home child care providers in the licensing process.
- Health and Wellness promotes healthy eating and self-care.
Adult and Family Services Program:
- Counseling assists individuals, couples, families, and groups in addressing life challenges such as domestic violence, substance abuse, and parenting children with special needs.
- Foster Care & Adoption Services provides loving families for children & youth in need of caregivers.
- Senior Support Services focuses on the prevention of elder abuse and empowers seniors to change and influence policies that affect their lives.
Workforce Development is a "dual customer" program providing area employers with job candidates who have the specific skills that employers require, and assisting job seekers in qualifying for such jobs.
Community Building brings people together to make Bronzeville a unified and involved community.
Impact - Centers for New Horizons has:
- Educated over 30,000 young children, helping them enter school ready to read and able to achieve;
- Encouraged thousands of children and youth to stay in and achieve in school and to find supportive friends, encouraging adults, and compelling interests in life;
- Supported the employment of thousands of parents, by caring for children of working parents, assisting parents in gaining skills and employment, and providing services to help overcome barriers to work;
- Supported hundreds of fragile families and seniors, keeping families together, finding nurturing foster families when necessary, and enabling seniors to remain in their homes and connected to the community;
- Spawned new nonprofits to expand opportunities for resident leadership and participation, to strengthen service quality and coordination, and to guide community decision making; and
- Provided vision and support to citywide coalitions that have sought to improve public schools and early childhood education, ameliorate poverty, and increase the supply of affordable housing.
101 Best Places to Work in Chicago, 50 Best Places to Work for People over 50 (AARP); Neighborhood Builders Award (Bank of America Foundation); MacArthur Fellowship to Founder Dr. Sokoni Karanja; James Brown IV Award (Chicago Community Trust); SaraLee Spirit Award
Workforce Development Program
To provide employers with a qualified labor force that will help their businesses flourish and assist families to become economically self sufficient through labor force participation.
CNH Workforce Development Program is a "dual customer" model that provides area employers with workforce candidates who have specific skills and assists job seekers in identifying careers, retaining jobs and/or enrollment in high-demand vocational training programs.
Why Should You Use Centers for New Horizons' Workforce Development Program?
- Our goal is to assist you, the Employer, in finding workers with the precise skills and attributes you need to succeed.
- Our goal is also to assist you, the Job Seeker, in identifying careers in which you will succeed and can become self-sufficient.
- Our services are of NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU.
- We provide highly professional staff assistance, rigorous assessment and screening, up to date labor market information, and close communication with employers.
- We provide job seekers with career assessment and preparation for long-term job placement success and retention.
Our Customers Are:
- Businesses, Local Employers
- Adults Job Seekers (skilled, unskilled workers)
- Community and Public Assistance recipients
- Employed Workers Seeking Career Advancement
We are looking for volunteers who are currtnely in school obtaining a degree in human Resources and more importantly Social Services. Our program can give them hands on experience as to what happens in our Workforce Development department. We have several opportunities for volunteers. Business service team 9 Job developer),Training Coordinator ( Job readiness),Employment specialist/retention specialist.
- Burgess Peoples
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!