Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of Summer Search is to find resilient low-income high school students and inspire them to become responsible and altruistic leaders by providing year-round mentoring, life-changing summer experiences, college advising, and a lasting support network.
Who We Are
Summer Search is a leadership development program with a unique commitment to providing ongoing and long-term support for low-income high school students. Founded in San Francisco in 1990, Summer Search now operates seven offices nationwide helping to place more than 1,100 high school students annually on a path of positive change.
- 90% qualify for free/reduced federal lunch
- 45% live below the poverty line which is $20,000 for a family of 4 (2006 HHS Poverty Guidelines, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- 92% are minority students
- 93% are first-generation college students
Summer Search selects disadvantaged high school students who demonstrate potential for reflection, altruism and performance (an original model developed by Summer Search called RAP) and helps them realize their full leadership potential.
Summer Search has a four-pronged approach that supports students so they finish high school and go to college, and then helps them be successful in the real world, while encouraging them to give back in the process. We hold our students accountable for themselves while supporting them for the long haul.
Our leadership program services include:
- Weekly mentoring sessions with highly trained staff mentors, from sophomore year to high school graduation
- Two summer experiential education programs, after sophomore and junior years
- College advisory services throughout high school
- Alumni support throughout college and beyond
To learn more about our program.
Search at a glance by downloading our fact sheet.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!